1 Million Fans and Followers:      
Search Jobs | Submit News
Monday, February 18, 2019

African American Dad, Inspired By His 4-Year Old Son, Launches New Startup Publishing Company For Children’s Books

A.D. Largie, founder of Kemet Kids Publishing, with his 4-year old son

A.D. Largie, founder of Kemet Kids Publishing, with his 4-year old son

New York, NY — A.D. Largie, author and founder of Kemet Kids Publishing, is a renowned independent children’s content creator and publisher. The New York-based company is best known for Astronauts: A Kids Guide, it’s biographies for a kids book series that features titles on living icons such as Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Lebron James, and Steph Curry.

The company has also published My Amazing Bones and Skeletons and My Amazing Skin from the acclaimed Human Body For Kids book series. They are committed to delivering beautifully illustrated educational and diverse media content for kids 0 to 12 years old. See a full book catalog at www.kemetkidsbooks.com

Largie is keenly aware that his children’s book come at a time when 86% of all children’s book characters are either of Caucasian ethnicity or non-human origins leaving only 14% of all children’s book characters to reflect the remaining diverse assortment of ethnicities. Based on 2015 publishing statistics compiled by the Cooperative Children’s Book Center at the School of Education, the University of Wisconsin-Madison on the percentage of books depicting characters from diverse backgrounds.

These statistics are validated with a quick search for children’s cartoons available on popular platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video and YouTube will quickly reveal only a handful of cartoons with at least 1 character of color.

A.D. Largie says that “at the root of racial intolerance and unconscious bias is a lack of diversity in kids content manifesting in adults.”

This comes more than 70 years after the famous “Doll Test” experiment by doctors Kenneth and Mamie Clark that was used as evidence in Brown v. Board of Education case to reverse the law of the land at the time which was “separate but equal”. The Clark’s concluded that racial conditions exhibited by the “Doll Test” resulted in “African American children developing a feeling of inferiority that may never be undone”.

With over 20 titles published and available now on Amazon, A.D. Largie is poised to expand his company’s global reach with the February 14 Kickstarter launch of their latest title.

Today, Kemet Kids Publishing announced that Engineers: A Kid’s Guide, the latest children’s book in the Kid’s Guide book series, will be released in paperback and eBook editions.

Engineers: A Kid’s Guide is a children’s picture book all about engineers and the engineering process designed to inspiring more little Engineers to continue advancing the world into a brighter future. The fully illustrated book depicts a team of diverse kid engineers who use their knowledge of engineering to build a robot to travel through space, explore other planets and report back what they have found.

“We designed Engineers: A Kid’s Guide to show kids just how cool it is to create and build things and inspire the next generation of problem solvers to act on their creativity and build a better world. We are launching this project on Kickstarter to get this book in the hands of as many kids as possible,” says founder A.D. Largie.

Learn more about the Kickstarter campaign at www.kickstarter.com

For more information about the company, visit the official website at www.kemetkidsbooks.com

Send an e-mail to support@kemetkidsbook.com for a full media kit.