1 Million Fans and Followers:      
Search Jobs | Submit News
Tuesday, May 29, 2018

White Teen Who Beat His Teacher’s Aide Into a Coma Released Without Bail After His Mom Promises to Keep an Eye on Him

Corey David Burfield and Mohammed Dukuly

The student, Corey David Burfield, and the teacher’s aide, Mohammed Dukuly

Minneapolis, MN — Corey David Burfield, an 18-year old white teen from Minnesota who has been accused of brutally attacking a Black teacher’s aide, has been allowed to return home even without posting bail only because his mother guaranteed that she will watch over her son.

For 10 years, Mohammed Dukuly worked as a paraprofessional at Harrison Education Center and has been known as a great teacher who was well-liked by students.

However, for no apparent reason, Burfield attacked Dukuly, knocked him to the floor and threw several punches on his face leaving him unresponsive. He was put on a ventilator in the ICU.

Burfield was charged with one count of first-degree assault and one count of third-degree assault. Last week, he appeared in court and he was released out of jail without posting bail after his mother promised the judge that her son won’t be a flight risk for she will look after her son.

“Quite frankly, we are disappointed,” Imam Mohammed Dukuly, the victim’s uncle, said. “For a serious case like this, I think he should’ve been on bail.”

Burfield has no criminal records yet but he had previous history of violent behavior towards his other teachers, classmates and even family.

Court documents showed the teen was “involved in an unprovoked attack against four school staff with one of the staff sustaining a concussion” back in December 2015. Another report says he “made countless swings at a male staff’s head, face, and throat” in another school.

Dukuly’s uncle is worried that Burfield will do the same again.

Favorably, Dukuly has been recovering from the attack and no longer needs ventilator. He can now sit up in his hospital bed and move his arms and legs.

“We feel like a heavy mountain has been removed from our head,” Dukuly’s uncle shared. “He can recognize us and we are very excited and grateful to Allah and for the community support. It’s our prayer that the strength we see will continue in his recovery.”

Burfield, meanwhile, was ordered to wear an ankle monitor and to stay away from Dukuly. He is also required to see a mental health professional within two weeks.

He is scheduled to appear in court on June 22.

Watch the news coverage below: